By Pastor Carl Gallups
We all know that some "preppers" can be a little loony.
However there is a biblical precedent for wise and Godly "prepping."
But we are living in prophetic and uncertain times. God's people would be prudent to prepare for some potentially tough times ahead. Ultimately, our total dependence is upon the Lord -especially in tough times. However, it is a biblical mandate for God's people to be prepared ahead of time - if at all possible. Before you make fun of preppers - please remember:
1. Noah was a prepper Genesis 6:21
2. Joseph was a prepper in Egypt Genesis 41:1-32
3. Moses was a prepper for a LONG wilderness journey Exodus 12:35, 36
4. The writers of the Proverbs speak a lot about prepping (See below)
5. Jesus gave tons of instructions about prepping (buy a sword, fleeing to the mountains, oil for your lamps, have a cloak and purse, getting ready for persecution because of belonging to Him, etc.)
6. YOU are a prepper - EVERY DAY!
(Do you wear a seat belt? Do you lock your doors at night? Do you have more than one day's supply of groceries? Do you have an alarm system? Do you have fire extinguishers? Do you take vitamins? If you live in a tornado or hurricane area - do you have supplies, storm shelters, extra fuel, etc?)
For those who would try and appear "super spiritual" and say, "Well, I just trust in the Lord. He will take care of all my needs regardless of my unfaithfulness to prepare." Consider these points:
1. Stop locking the doors to your house - "just trust in the Lord ..."
2. Stop locking the doors to your car and just leave your keys in it.
3. Stop stocking up on groceries. Surely they will just "appear" on your doorstep?
4. Stop wearing your seat belt and stop having your children do the same.
5. Don't ever wear a life preserver when boating. And make certain your children don't either. To wear a life preserver would be a "lack of faith."
6. Don't carry a spare tire or tools in your car - "just let the Lord provide."
7. If you have guns or other self defense weapons in your home or car - throw them away! You don't need them. Just "trust in the Lord."
8. ETC ...
Remember ... "Anyone who does not PROVIDE (this takes prepping!) for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." (I Timothy 5:8)
Proverbs 6:6 –11 (NLT)
“6:6 Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and become wise! 6:7 Though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, 6:8 they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter. 6:9 But you, lazybones, how long will you sleep? When will you wake up? 6:10 A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest—6:11 then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit; scarcity will attack you like an armed robber.”
“A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
BE THOU PREPARED!
See Carl's new book BE THOU PREPARED: Equipping the Church for Persecution and Times of Trouble (WND Books)
www.carlgallups.com/prepared - BOOK WEBSITE
www.amazon.com/author/carlgallups - AMAZON SITE