Zev Porat

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lesson from "LOST" - You're more valuable than you may realize

One of the main characters named in the hit TV show "Lost" is Desmond Hume. Desmond happened to be in love with a lady whose father was extraordinarily wealthy. So, Mr. Hume decided that the proper thing to do is to ask the girl's father for permission to marry her. The father, upon hearing Desmond's proposal, stood up, walked over to his liquor cabinet, took out a bottle of whiskey along with two glasses, and walked back to his desk. He put the glasses down and poured a mouthful into one glass only. He picked it up, turned to Desmond, and said the following:

"Mr. Hume, this swallow of scotch is worth more than you could ever hope to earn in a month. If I won't share it with you, what makes you think I would let you have my daughter? You are worthless".

What a horrible thing to say. When I heard this I recalled a lesson I learned many years ago. My dad had passed a family heirloom down to me that he got from his dad. It was an old trinket that was in quite well kept condition. I decided I wanted to know what such a thing might be worth so I took it to the most reputable antique dealer I could find. I was about to get quite an education.

After examining the object closely, the antique dealer told me it was worth about twenty bucks. "What?” I said. "This thing is almost a hundred years old and you're telling me it's worthless"? He proceeded to explain how things are evaluated; how a value is placed on any given entity. Basically, whatever amount anyone is willing to pay for an item that is what the item is worth. It is referred to as the fetching price or the amount the item would fetch at auction. That is what the item is worth. It turns out that my particular item was mass produced a hundred years ago and is too common to be valuable.

So, how about you? How much value do you place on yourself? The wealthy man was wrong about Desmond and most of you reading this are probably wrong in your estimation of yourself. You have enormous value! Somebody paid an enormous price for you! Yes, you! The amount paid was more than anyone ever paid for any painting or artifact. You are valuable because the price paid was the life of a man. Not just any man. NO! It was a perfect man. The only perfect man that ever lived. And he placed such a value on you that his life was paid to secure the value.

It's too bad Desmond didn't have this knowledge. He could have reminded the rich man that his value was established two thousand years ago on a cross. His value is no less than anyone else's on earth. He, like you, was worth dying for. Even though he is a fictional character, he represents millions who have had their true value suppressed by a spirit of elitism and improper self-evaluation.

You are valuable because of the price that someone was willing to pay for the right to call you his own. It is time for you to give to him what rightfully belongs to him. You will never know your true value otherwise. You have been robbing God by withholding yourself from him. You are his. You are valuable. Now start acting like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment