Zev Porat

Thursday, August 30, 2012

TIM TEBOW Was He Set Up By GQ To Look Like a Sexy Jesus?



SEE UPDATE TEBOW RESPONSE BELOW:




UPDATE RESPONSE

'GQ' cover appearance comes as 'shocker' to Jets' Tim Tebow

Tuesday we told you that Tim Tebow was on the cover of GQ's NFL preview issue.
Turns out you might have been aware of it before the New York Jets backup quarterback was.
By Mark Seliger, GQ

"Honestly, I didn't even know," Tebow said Thursday. "It kind of was a shocker for me."

The magazine recycled some photos with religious overtones from the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner's days at the University of Florida.

"It was something that I think I did maybe six years ago in college," Tebow said. "Honestly, the first time I heard was when we were in the cafeteria (Tuesday), and it was on ESPN. That's when I found out, so it was kind of a shocker to me as well."

Tebow said he hasn't received any razzing from teammates yet about his shirtless poses but admitted, "I'm sure that'll come up sooner than later though."

As to whether he has any concerns about the dated photo shoot, which includes one picture of him seeming to pose as if he was on a crucifix?

"I have heard someone ask me about that," Tebow said. "Was I trying to do anything as far as the crucifix? Absolutely not. I mean, I don't know. It was six years ago, I don't even remember what I was doing. But I wasn't trying to do anything like that though."
Perhaps that comes as a relief to some in the religious community.

Gerald Zelizer, rabbi at Congregation Neve Shalom in Metuchen, N.J., is a Jets fan who wrote an opinion piece for The (Newark) Star-Ledger last Sunday in which he saluted Tebow for his "religious integrity" and concluded: "I reluctantly admire the pristine faith of a young man like Tebow, who prays as he plays and preaches as he practices."

But asked to respond how the Jesus-like portrayal shot of Tebow that was re-used by GQ might be resonating with the Jewish community in the New York City metropolitan area, Zelizer was not pleased.
"I regret seeing sincere and admirable faith become transformed into cartoon-like self parody," Zelizer emailed to USA TODAY Sports.

STORY: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/08/tim-tebow-gq-new-york-jets-shocker/1#.UD_Z9aDRB14


 ANOTHER RESPONSE HERE:


I started covering this at Apprising Ministries in Tim Tebow “Jesus” Pose Stirs Controversy. As I said, I followed the Tim Tebow phenomenon with much interest as it developed last year.
This is because for years I served God as a head football coach at the middle school, and then later, at the high school level so I know what a teaching vehicle the game can be.
I also told you that as far as I can see, Tim Tebow does appear to be sincere in his Christian faith even though I wouldn’t necessarily do or advocate all the things he does.
The heart of the matter is the GQ NFL Kick-off 2012 issue and the pose below:
That would appear to be a pose similar to Jesus on the cross, which as you might imagine, stirred up a bit of controversy. The fact is Christian Post points out in Tim Tebow Chided on His Birthday for Posing as ‘Sexy Jesus’:
Though featured in the newest issue of GQ magazine, the photo in question was taken earlier when Tebow was quarterback for the Florida Gators in college.
Another thing I brought out was that we weren’t there and don’t know what the photographer said to him. Nor do we know what kind of a release for this photo shoot may have been signed.
It seems clear that GQ did secure the right to use it. Today I’m told by a source who claims to know Tim
Tebow that the photographer was taking pictures of him as he did his warmup for practice.
They say that Tebow wasn’t actually posing as Jesus at all; but rather, he was simply stretching. Since I personally never used a stretch like that for my players in warmup I wouldn’t recognize it as such.

Now, according to Tim Tebow himself, he doesn’t actually remember exactly what he was doing that day six years ago but insists that he was “absolutely not” trying to do a crucifixion pose:

“Honestly, I didn’t even know until — actually probably most of [you] knew that I was on there before I knew, so it kind of was a shocker for me,” Tebow said in comments to the media, which were transcribed and distributed by the team.

“It was something that I think I did maybe six years ago in college.  Honestly the first time I heard [it] was when we were in the cafeteria and it was on ESPN.  That’s when I found out, so it was kind of a shocker to me as well.”

It’s hardly obvious that the photos are outdated; the most controversial image appears to have Tebow in a crucifix pose, with the color dulled to the point where it creates the impression that the pants are Jet green and not Gator blue.
 
“Was I trying to do anything as far as the crucifix?” Tebow said.  “Absolutely not.  I mean, I don’t know — it was six years ago, I don’t even remember what I was doing, but I wasn’t trying to do anything like that though.”
 STORY: http://apprising.org/2012/08/20/tim-tebow-responds-to-jesus-pose-accusation/


PPSIMMONS RESPONSE:  We pray Tim is completely innocent in this. We will be totally convinced when we see or hear something about a release agreement for the photos, etc. GQ could not have used the photos without Tim's permission and knowledge. It could be that he did not know about the title of the story, though.

 ------------------------------------------------
THE MAGIC MAN IN THE SKY:
Effectively Defending The Christian Faith                                         
by Carl Gallups
Publisher: WND Books - Washington D.C.                                         

#1 Best Seller Amazon (Science and Religion)

Get the book at Amazon.com today!

RAVE REVIEWED IN THE WASHINGTON TIMES!

"A must-read book! / A muscular defense of the Christian faith. /An arsenal of powerful rebuttals to Christian bashers."

Featured on TBN (PTL With Dwight Thompson), ATLANTA LIVE, DOVE NETWORK, COAST UP CLOSE TV, IN THE MARKET with Janet Parshall (Moody Radio) and in dozens of major radio markets coast to coast (From Mancow in the Morning (Chicago) to Bill Martinez Live (California). THIS BOOK HAS BECOME AN INTERNATIONAL PHENOMENON!

GET THE BOOK HERE:


DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT Carl Gallups' Home Page -  http://www.carlgallups.com/   This is a daily site of devotions, videos, articles and Biblical inspiration. Use it in your life and use it as a witnessing tool!  Listen to this clip of Carl leading a talk show host back to the Lord - largely because of the host landing on Carl's site - amazing!  HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3gX-Buf_7s&feature=plcp

7 comments:

  1. the music on this was so stupid and unnecessary

    ReplyDelete
  2. To do this is inexcusable for anyone, especially a magazine, and without permission. Tim should be outright angry, and have it pulled. No one can or could be equal to our Lord. I'm proud that he is a loving Christian. I'm sure he is not happy with this shot now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just another attempt to make Believers look silly. We don't care. It's how he lives, not what they want to portray that matters. He must answer to only One.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since his hands are cropped out of the picture I believe Tim Tebow and to me it appears that the photographer or those preparing the image for publication cropped his hands out for a REASON, like they did not fit the image THEY were trying to portray. I believe Tebow and you should too! Remember how the media is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be canceling my subscription to GQ for this dishonest portrayal of Tim Tebow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What will the media do when they're collectively standing at the White Throne Judgment? What excuses will they have for their behavior toward God? None because it will be too late for all of them. Tebow, on the other hand, will be busy praising God.

    ReplyDelete