Zev Porat

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

As it was in the days of Noah! Nevada senator comes out as gay during debate

FILE - This May 10,2011 file photo shows Nevada Assemblyman Kelvin Atkinson, D-North Las Vegas, listens to a debate during a joint budget hearing at the Legislature in Carson City, Nev. The Nevada Senate, after an hour-long, soul-searching debate about equality, love and marriage passed a resolution late Monday repealing the state's heterosexual definition of marriage, the first step in a long process to recognize gay marriage. For Atkinson, it was a coming out of sorts when he announced to many, "I'm black. I'm gay." (AP Photo/Cathleen Allison,File)

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — As Nevada legislators emotionally debated a move toward same-sex marriage, one lawmaker rose to his feet and declared, "I'm gay."


Nevada state SenKelvin Atkinson says that he quickly picked up hundreds of new friends on Facebook and followers on Twitter.

"I never considered myself not out," said Atkinson, a North Las Vegas Democrat. "I didn't care who knew, I just didn't ever think that I needed to make a public statement about it."


However, he was moved to speak out late Monday night after listening to passionate, soul-searching testimony from his colleagues as they debated Senate Joint Resolution 13, which would abolish the heterosexual definition of marriage that's been in the Nevada Constitution since 2002, when voters overwhelmingly approved the Protection of Marriage Act.


"I didn't think. I just knew it was time," Atkinson said.


http://news.yahoo.com/nevada-senator-comes-gay-during-debate-215504602.html


Michael D. Shoesmith
Social Networking Director
Ministry Coordinator
PPSIMMONS/CGM

No comments:

Post a Comment