Zev Porat

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Changing Times

I entered the pastoral ministry in 1973 (I think it was. It is getting pretty far away). Things were different then. My preaching and teaching ministry fit a lot of churches quite well and did for more than two decades after.  I fit well with the 70's, 80's and 90's. However, about the turn of the century, things changed. The children of the 60's became the emerging leadership of the church of the turn of the century.

The adults of the church of the 70's were the children of World War II parents. That generation became known as the "Greatest Generation" (Tom Brokaw, 1998) because of their sacrifice on behalf of America in giving life and limb in World War II and families losing loved ones with a heart of sadness mixed with pride.  It was a time of commitment and sacrifice that led to America's continued freedom, a time of world peace, America's greatest standing in the World and ushered in a time of unprecedented prosperity in this Country. It also ushered in a time of a very specific philosophy in our country of "Jesus first, others second and me last."  

In the last quarter of the 20th century the children of that life-philosophy filled the pews and leadership positions of the church. That is my philosophy. My preaching and teaching follows that philosophy. It is biblical. 

However with the advent of the 60's, known as the "Me Generation," (Tom Wolfe) came a change in life-philosophy that changed the general world view of most Americans from "Jesus first, others second and me last" to "Jesus first as long as He puts me first, my family second, and others last."  


My biblical-world view became, quite suddenly (it seemed to me), an obsolete basis for preaching and teaching in most churches.  

I cannot get over the sorrow of that reality. Times have changed.  

May I ask, "Which view is yours?"

joda collins
Rev. Joda Collins
I make no claim that my views are shared by anyone else.


1 comment:

  1. It is a sick world. People have no honor, their word doesn't hold true.
    Not many can be trusted, only the ones within your own family if indeed you trained them up correctly with godly values. I have and can see the results. No day care here and a raised voice was all that was needed to break a spirit. But then we raised 2 girls. Boys will need a butt woopin for they want what they want when they want it. discipline out of love and never anger.

    ReplyDelete