Zev Porat

Monday, April 11, 2016

WHY IS IT THAT NOBODY UNDERSTANDS YOU?





Nobody understands you because there has never been anybody like you in the history of the world. You are the only you there has ever been and you are the only you there will ever be. God made you unique for his specific purpose.  Everyone will not understand, appreciate or agree with your purpose. He has called you to do things that no one else can do as well or in your place.  Everyone will not value your contributions.  Because of your changing environment, your constant maturing, your unending learning, and the unfolding work of God in your life, you never stay the same.  Some people will not respect your journey. 

What makes you weep is different from what makes others weep.  Some will consider you callus when you do not weep over what makes them weep and a cry-baby when you weep over things that does not move them to tears.  What makes you laugh is different, even if you are laughing with others at the same thing.  I have been criticized for laughing and am amazed that others find laughter in things that I frown at.   You do not see exactly the same thing in the beauty of a sunset or the view of miles of ocean that others see.

At times, even you are a mystery to you.  The Apostle Paul wrote, "
As for me, it matters very little how I might be evaluated by you or by any human authority. I don't even trust my own judgment on this point." 1 Corinthians 4:3.  NLT.   "It is a very small thing to me that I should be examined by you or by any human court. In fact, I don't even evaluate myself."  1 Corinthians 4:3. ISV. 

Most of us, because of our sinful nature, have a critical spirit when it comes to others. 



I know some pastors who seem to be blessed in their ministries by God, who I think are really bad guys.  I am constantly reminding myself of Romans 14:4 which reads:
"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand." KJV.

I have often wondered why nobody understands me except my wife.  I think I am a simple man, easy to understand.  However, so many seem to be quite confused about what makes me, me.  It is a bit frustrating sometimes.  In this amazement, I know I am not alone. I know you feel the frustration of living in your world where so few know you well.  I guess that is just the way it is.  However, having a friend like Jesus makes that friendship all the more precious because he knows me well.  Having a friend like Jesus makes your life so very sweet, also. 

The Apostle John said that he was the one that Jesus loved.  "
One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him."  John 13:23. NIV.  That was not an arrogant statement by John.  It was a statement of fact.  Jesus loved John most.  Every once in a while I feel like John felt. I fee like I am the one that Jesus loves the most.  I hope you get that feeling too (that Jesus loves you most of all).   It is hard to sing, "What a friend we have in Jesus...", without being humbled, thankful and overwhelmed.  Jesus understands me better than I understand me and better than anyone else could.  Jesus understands you better than you understand yourself and better than anyone else could.   

We need to work harder to try find tolerance for and acceptance of others when we can do so in good conscience.  Our opinion of others should be tempered by the fact that none of us have looked into the eyes of any individual who is a stranger to pain, sorrow, struggle, confusion, failure and rejection.  Also, we need people to be patient with us and give us the benefit of the doubt. 

Most of all, may we never do anything on purpose that damages or dishonors the sweet friendship we have with Jesus Christ.  He is the only one who knows everything about us and loves us anyway!

Author Image
 
Rev. Joda Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment