Zev Porat

Thursday, July 30, 2020

MISUNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE CAN HURT YOU, BAD!


By Rev. Joda Collins

When I first entered the pastorate in 1974 I was so excited. I thought my life would be filled with spending my time with godly people and helping those godly people direct their lives in accord with the Word of God.  While I had a mental concept of Satan's hate for the Church, I did not, then, realize the degree of Satan's hate for the Church or the degree of power he has in the average church.

Jesus' parables about the kingdom of heaven reveal something very interesting.

A sower sowed some seeds.  Some seeds fell by the wayside, and the fowls (birds) came and devoured them up.  (Matthew 13:3-4). The wicked one takes away that which was sown in the hearer's heart. That is he that received seed by the wayside.  (Matthew 13:19).  (1). 

Notice that the birds of verse 13:3-4 are identified as the wicked one in Matthew 13:19.  The wicked one is Satan, and the plurality of the birds constitutes demonic forces that work under the direction of Satan. 

Notice Matthew 13:31-33 which reads, The kingdom of heaven is like...a (grown or growing) tree...that...birds...lodge in. 

The kingdom of heaven is anywhere the work of God is attempted on Earth.  The primary place where the kingdom of God is trying to do the work of God is the Church.  One of the things, if not the primary thing, that happens in a church is the sowing (preaching/teaching) of the word (Bible).     

Notice the demons' job is to stay lodged in the church and continually snatch the meaning and power of the Word of God from those who hear it.  From experience, I can tell you that one of the ways this is done is the demons cause unrest in the church so the preaching of the Word is ignored or reduced in value because the congregation is focused more on church problems than the preaching and teaching of the Word.  A second way destroys the influence of the preaching/teaching is to discredit the pastor.  It is impossible for the congregation to give honor to the Word of God from the lips of a man they do not honor.  

So, do three things if you want your church to succeed.  These three things are more than just common sense. They are commands of the Bible.

First, do all within your power to keep the peace in your church.  "Bless are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God."   (Matthew 5:9.)

Second, honor your pastor (and all your Bible teachers) and do all within your power to be sure others honor your pastor (or pastors).  (Hebrews 13:17)

Third, Satan uses people for this work.  Identify the dirty birds in your congregation and deal with them (correct or rebuke) if you can or stay away from them if you cannot.  "Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness..."  (Galatians 6:1.)   "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."  (Romans 16:17.)

With age and experience those of us who can learn, learn. I spent much too much time trying to work with and pacify the dirty birds of the church.  As I grew older and wiser, I began to do the things that cause the dirty birds to fly away and destroy other churches.  Too bad I did not start that policy earlier.  However, I did learn. Now, being retired from the pastorate, I have a business.  I do not tolerate dirty birds. I come at them hard, unrelenting and immediately. Because of that, at least in part, my business is doing very well.  I do not waste my time, money or energy on filthy foul. 


Rev. Joda Collins
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/jodacollins
I make no claim that anyone else agrees with me.



Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment