Zev Porat

Monday, December 5, 2011

Wendy's Meeting with Barack - is it even LEGAL?

If you're a member of the Obama campaign like I am you're familiar with the current email campaign coming from the re-election headquarters. There's a lottery going on - sanctioned by the Obama team and now a woman has come out who claims she won the last lottery of this kind - the Meet the Obama's lottery!

The email begins, as they all do, with the word "Friend". Loosely utilized I'm sure but cozy nonetheless. It continues:

My name is Wendi, and about a month ago, I had dinner with President Obama.
Very personal - very intimate. Her name is Wendy - Wendy Smith. It was "one of the most significant experiences" of her life she writes. I'm sure it was.

I told him about my son and his college loans, my work as an artist, and asked him about public education -- I could tell that he was genuinely listening to each of us, even though I'm sure he had a lot going on that day, and his own family back at the White House.
Artist? Public education? I wonder if this person is a liberal. I wonder if she ever worked on the Obama campaign in 08. Wait! What's this?

I've supported Barack Obama for a long time, and in 2008, I phone banked and canvassed for him near my hometown of Corydon, Indiana.
Well now - it looks like Wendy may have been a pretty safe bet to allow near the first couple wouldn't you say? This email is promoting the "Meet the Obama's" lottery where they are asking supporters to donate a minimum of $3 to the campaign war chest in order to be entered in a drawing to meet the President and his woman. Notice Wendy's sentence here.

The link takes you right to the donate page at the Obama website. Of course Wendy was planning on donating anyway.

I was planning on making a donation anyway, so I thought I might as well do it now.

This email has all of the sales nuances built in like "do it now". Obviously Wendy didn't write this but has anyone actually checked the legality of pimping out a meeting with a government member using a lottery? Is it legal? There's a fine print at the bottom of all these emails which says -

No purchase, payment, or contribution necessary to enter or win. Contributing will not improve chances of winning.
Yet the email says a donation of $3 is required. Does anyone else find this strange? A lottery to meet the POTUS? Selling a meeting with the President in order to finance his election campaign? Is it legal to sell a meeting with the President? Didn't the Governor of Illinois get into trouble for something similar?

Wendy ends her email with -

When I got back home, I told my husband and friends that the President was exactly the man we all thought he was: modest, genuine, engaged, and very caring.
Artists... always so good with using their imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment